The Besties 2009 “Because being the BEST is all that matters”

Being the BEST is a huge responsibility, being the BEST as a Kellan client…well that is a whole other realm of importance. Can you handle the pressure candidates? ….CAN YOU????? It’s game time.

It is an arduous task plowing through a year’s worth of photos picking moments, expressions, looks, style, color and emotion that grabbed our eye. This year we structured “The Besties” into categories and changed around the voting.

So we ask you to take a moment with each category, consider it, savor it, marinate in it, and cast your vote! There are 15 categories so scroll all the way down.

It is just that easy!

We will open the polls on Monday, January 4 and close them on Monday, January 11 at midnight. The winners from the 15 categories will then go into a random drawing. First winner will receive a 16 X 24 canvas wrap, the second winner will receive a 12 X 12 canvas wrap and the third winner will receive an 12 X 18 enlargement. JUST FOR BEING THE BESTEST!!! How rad is that?

BUT WAIT DEAR VOTERS…..you can win too! By leaving a comment at the end of the post you will be eligible for a drawing for a $15.00 Starbucks card. All you have to do is link to a photo that meant something to you in 2009. It could be a personal photo, a photo from another photographer or one of ours. We would love to see what moves or inspires you! That’s it…..leave a comment, be in a drawing. (Unfortunately, Facebook links will not work)

Get your clicking finger ready and vote, vote, vote….THANK YOU for helping support our awesome 2009 clients.

And…. Begin!

Cindy and Josh- Charity tokens
Cindy and Josh Wedding~ May 23, 2009 Atlantic Beach, NC

Molly and Chris
Molly and Chris Wedding~ Lexington, VA ~ May 30, 2009

Comic book lovers Kenley and Michele
Michele and Kenley Engagement~ New York City

Chrissy and Matt’s signature drink at their reception
Chrissy and Matt~ July 18, 2009~ Virginia Tech

Jill and Jed
Jill and Jed~ Easton, MD~ August 8, 2009

Heather and Tim avid gin lovers
Heather and Tim ~ 10.3.09 ~ Baltimore, MD

Ellen’s mom
Ellen and Erik Wedding~10.10.09

Michele
Michele and Kenley Engagement~ New York City

Jill and Jed
Jill and Jed~ Easton, MD~ August 8, 2009

Molly hugging her mom down the aisle
Molly and Chris Wedding~ Lexington, VA ~ May 30, 2009

Jay
Chrissy and Jay~  Day After Session in NYC

Kristin dancing with her dad
Kristin and Tim Wedding~ July 11, 2009

DETAILS THAT CAN’T BE IGNORED

Molly’s awesome derby hat
SWsubmissions

Ellen’s chalk signs at reception
Ellen and Erik Wedding~10.10.09

Ellen’s vintage bridal shoot wearing her mothers wedding gown, grandmothers headpiece at the church her parents got married at.
Ellen Vintage Bridal Session

Jill’s mother’s necklace worn on her wedding day.
Jill and Jed~ Easton, MD~ August 8, 2009

Set up a ring shot on Chrissy’s favorite tattoo of Jays: Lion/God defeating the Snake/Satan.
Chrissy and Jay~ June 6, 2009 ~ Ridgewood, New  Jersey

Tim’s grandfather watch that was given to him after his passing, held by his grandmother, the recent widow.
Kristin and Tim Wedding~ July 11, 2009

Ellen standing on the tractor her grandfather used to ride on many decades earlier. It now resides on their friends farm.
Ellen Bridal Session

Josh’s dad officiated his son’s wedding ceremony to Cindy. This is the Bible he used to read scripture and during the vows.
Cindy and Josh Wedding~ May 23, 2009 Atlantic Beach, NC

MISCELLANEOUS

During Ellen’s vintage bridal shoot, we worked in a portrait of her mother wearing the original bridal gown.
Ellen Vintage Bridal Session

Heather and Tim’s wedding…flower girl hit her limit.
Heather and Tim ~ 10.3.09 ~ Baltimore, MD

Molly and Chris’s wedding. Bridesmaids switched to flip flops and shoved into a photo booth together.
Molly and Chris Wedding~ Lexington, VA ~ May 30, 2009

Matt and Chrissy read separate vows to each other after their ceremony but had an ill-timed moment where they bashed heads.
Chrissy and Matt~ July 18, 2009~ Virginia Tech

Kristin and her mom during reception.
Kristin and Tim Wedding~ July 11, 2009

My brother Jamie putting out the vibe.
Jamie (my brother) and Paula Anniversary Shoot

Dustin doing yoga in the desert
Dustin and Christy

OUT OF A MOVIE

Jill and Jed
Jill and Jed~ Easton, MD~ August 8, 2009

Chrissy and Jay
Chrissy and Jay~  Day After Session in NYC

Catherine and Nick
Catherine and Nick Wed~ June 20, 2009 ~ Salem, VA

Cindy and Josh
Cindy and Josh Wedding~ May 23, 2009 Atlantic Beach, NC

Adam and Lauren
Adam and Lauren - Vintage Editorial Shoot

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Tweets that mention The Besties 2009 “Because being the BEST is all that matters” « Kellan Studios -- Topsy.com says:

January 4, 2010 at 8:57 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ryan Portnoy, kellyportnoy. kellyportnoy said: The 2nd Annual Besties are live!Go vote! http://bit.ly/6rpaFY We need your participation & clicking fingers GOGO support our awesome clients […]

Jocelyn says:

January 4, 2010 at 9:12 pm

You guys are so amazing!!!! I loved pouring over these. It’s hard to choose faves…

Aubin says:

January 4, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I hope I did this right! It was hard to not pick pictures based on the people I know (Chrissy/Jay, Jill/Jed, Jamie/Paula)!! But I tried to be fair. You guys make it hard, being so good and all. Can’t wait to see what everyone else thinks.

Kenny Smith says:

January 4, 2010 at 9:13 pm

every single photo is fabulous as always, and my choices are based on the sections title! It was so hard on a few! -a continuous fan.

Aubin says:

January 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm

yeah, I didn’t do it right…going back now—ha!

Heather says:

January 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I’m not sure if links to Facebook pictures work or not, but I’m giving it a try with my favorite picture (of mine) of 2009:

Sarah says:

January 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I hope Kenny and I get to make the 2010 Besties! You guys are wonderful! Love all your photos and cant wait for you to do our wedding!

Carolanne says:

January 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I hope my votes went through - the pictures were wonderful and always give me great ideas for the future!

Anonymous says:

January 4, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I was most impressed by the fact that Josh was in two entries in the “Romance” category.

Lisa S. says:

January 5, 2010 at 3:01 am

You had some amazing photos this year. A lot were very moving. I really enjoyed looking through them and voting!

For my photo of last year I would have to pick this one I took while me and my girls were in the hospital:

To me it shows the pain we all had to go through for two little lives to enter the world, but how amazing life is..

dar says:

January 5, 2010 at 5:56 am

your pictures are amazing and beautiful as always. here is my favorite pic from 2009 - my nephew (ryan!!) on his first birthday.

Katie Curry says:

January 5, 2010 at 6:12 am

This was fun. You do amazing work. Chrissy and Jay are HOT!

Tracie Smith says:

January 5, 2010 at 6:53 am

Amazing Pics!! Enjoyed all of them but Cathrine and Nicks should Definitely WIN!!

Lori says:

January 5, 2010 at 7:05 am

Amazing photos. Love Amanda and Jason!

Bree says:

January 5, 2010 at 7:11 am

I love Besties . . .

I have been following you guys for a while, in fact I was the “winner” of the name your sewing machine contest you held years ago on Filtering Life (NANCY).

Anyway, I have 2 favorites … I know thats cheating but here they are anyway!

My baby who is growing up so fast:

My love:

Teevio says:

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 am

I have to say that you have a pretty stellar lineup this year. I’m glad it was a much more manageable way to vote too. Great job guys, I can’t wait to see what comes out of your cameras this year!

Corey says:

January 5, 2010 at 7:33 am

Sighhhhhhhh…..gorgeous…. ALL of them:) Each picture captures such an awesome moment!!

Jocelyn says:

January 5, 2010 at 7:42 am

okay i went back and voted. hopefully it works this time. i think it was harder the second time through!!!

Kate says:

January 5, 2010 at 7:44 am

You two are amazing!

Carolyn says:

January 5, 2010 at 8:20 am

This was hard - SO many great shots! I had fun looking through them….best wishes to all the winners;)

uberVU - social comments says:

January 5, 2010 at 8:25 am

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ryanportnoy: The Second Annual Besties are live! Go vote! http://bit.ly/6rpaFY

Nicole Curcio says:

January 5, 2010 at 8:26 am

These pictures were amazing. All of them! Thank you for sharing!

Lanier says:

January 5, 2010 at 8:35 am

This was so fun to do! Your photography just gets better and better and better!

Clifton Griffin says:

January 5, 2010 at 8:38 am

Those were difficult. Great selections.

Kathy says:

January 5, 2010 at 8:50 am

great photos enjoyed looking at them all

Min says:

January 5, 2010 at 8:59 am

Amazing photos! Love how the pictures captured the moments!

Kate says:

January 5, 2010 at 9:05 am

Favorite pic -

Thanks for capturing this moment - I’ll cherish it forever.

Ellen says:

January 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

You guys are TOO GOOD and this is just TOO HARD!

adam says:

January 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

thanks so much for the photos of Lauren and I! God is faithful and used you both at a time of great redemption for us! We love all the photos of everyone you posted. Way to go you guys!

Brinkley R. Hypes says:

January 5, 2010 at 10:36 am

All of these photos are soooooo CREATIVE!… My favorite are the ColorPop!!

Becky says:

January 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

Beautiful Pictures! Best wishes to Katherine and Mark!!

January 5, 2010 at 11:05 am

Loves ALL these! Such a fun competition!

Can I get back to you on my favorite picture of the year? That is a tough one!

Teevio says:

January 5, 2010 at 11:13 am

As to a photo, this photo of our soon-to-be 4th child is probably the most meaningful photog from 2009.

Maria says:

January 5, 2010 at 11:15 am

They are all so wonderful and so different! Each couple has their own style for sure :)

adam says:

January 5, 2010 at 11:17 am

oh… i meant to say… this is one photo that rocked my world…

Amanda says:

January 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

A lovely collection of photos!

Here is my favorite picture of 2009. I was behind the camera for this one, but it’s a shot of three of my best friends freezing their tails off with me on a cruise of the New York harbor on our girls’ weekend in October.

Amanda says:

January 5, 2010 at 11:40 am

A lovely collection of photos!

Stephanie B. says:

January 5, 2010 at 11:41 am

What great photos! you guys did a fantastic job of capturing moments to look like they weren’t staged. Beautiful in every way possible.

amydjones says:

January 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

love you guys sooo much and hope to see more of you in 2010!

here’s my fave picture of the year, taken by me, surprisingly!

There is always hope of a new day, even for the least of these! (picture of a girl I sponsor with Watoto, and her sister, taking in the view of a rainbow before a storm. Gulu, Uganda, 2009)

Kristin & Tim says:

January 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Ahhhhhhhhmazing! Each time someone sees our wedding pictures, they comment on how tim and I should model (then they meet us in person and bless you for your photoshop skills!) :) We love the pictures — thank you thank you thank you!!!

Jacquie says:

January 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Your photos are gorgeous… It’s hard to pick a favourite! I love how everyone just looks like they’re having so much fun in all your photos.

Here’s my favourite photo of the year… It’s of my AMAZING Opa & Oma on their 50th Wedding Anniversary. Oma is battling breast cancer for the fourth time as well as pulmonary fibrosis, but you could never tell by looking at them… Still laughing and in love after all these years…

Gaylyn says:

January 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Your photos take me back to my own wedding day, and make me want to get married all over again-with you behind the camera!

jen says:

January 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm

these were so fun to look at… a perfect reason to procrastinate working on my to-do list. thank-you!
one picture that makes me happy: jp is in heaven here…

jen says:

January 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm

this picture makes me happy: jp is in heaven here…

Jacquie says:

January 5, 2010 at 1:46 pm

This is supposed to hopefully be a public link to the facebook photo… Hope it works!

Debbie says:

January 5, 2010 at 1:55 pm

You are truly the most talented photographers! Your photos are totally awesome! Some people are just born with the talent to ‘capture the moment’ and you are SO BLESSED!!!!

Auntie Hilda says:

January 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I enjoyed seeing all these beautiful pictures !! Thank you for sharing these with us ! You all are the best ! However, I was a little bit prejudice when it came to Jill and Jed !!

todd says:

January 5, 2010 at 2:39 pm

That was fun! Great stuff! I wish I could pick seconds.

Meridith says:

January 5, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Wow! This was so fun to see these images in review. Though, I’m a bit surprised that the fabulous photo of Chrissy & Jay from their day-after shoot, when he’s jumping on the bed, didn’t make the “Best Ups” category! Can it be my write-in vote? No?

This link should be public: my favorite moment, one of the first in 2009 with my sweet newborn girl, and taken by our dear friend Jill:

Matt says:

January 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm

How precious to capture feelings. Thank you

Lindy says:

January 5, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I have pointed several friends to Heather and Tim’s wedding gallery - you guys did such a wonderful job and were unobtrusive and discreet while getting such amazing shots. Nice work! As for my favorite picture, I’m slightly biased, but this is a photo of my preemie daughter Natalie, born 9 weeks early. She is five days old here, wearing her Daddy’s wedding ring as a bracelet! She was the best Christmas and New Years present I could have ever asked for!!!

Megan Luckeroth says:

January 5, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I love your pictures and check your blog all the time for new ones. :)

This picture means a lot to me and represents a lot.

My family and I go to Deep Creek Lake, Maryland every year. It’s calming, it’s quiet and it slows us down. While out driving around with my mom, she spotted these trees, pulled over and asked me to take a picture of it for her. She sat in the car and made me walk into the middle of this forest for her. lol And I’m glad she did, because I love the way this photo came out. And I hadn’t ever seen trees all lined up that looked like this. :)

Thank you for sharing your work. It’s always inspiring to me. :)

KP in Minnesota! says:

January 5, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I love your work! So awesome to look back through the year.

I don’t have a flickr account or any other way to display my pictures (not a photographer, here) but I wanted to link to this site: http://www.jessicaclaire.net/index.cfm/catID/3/i-do

I really love her work.

If you scroll down an entry, I really like the photos posted on December 11 called “Carrie and Jayson’s Wedding at San Ysidro Ranch”. So soft, lush, and sweet.

jo says:

January 5, 2010 at 6:53 pm

The picture of Jill and Jed in the old church is one of the most beautiful pictures I’ve seen. It’s my all time favorite of yours, so much romance and pure prettiness. You really took steamy to a whole new level with the Barnes shoot, I can drool over every single one of those! Love you guys!!

Tina says:

January 5, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Amazing! Very fun to vote for such awesome pics.

Emily says:

January 5, 2010 at 9:19 pm

These photos were ALL winners! You guys do a terrific job.

So, here’s MY favorite photo of the year! On August 22, 2009 I married my best friend, Jeff Walker. He’s the best man I’ve ever known and every day that I’ve been able to spend with him has been a dream come true. God definitely brought us together at the perfect time. And boy, were we glad we waited for that time!

We really wanted to have a time of prayer together during our ceremony, and that’s when this shot was taken. Warren Barfield’s song, “Love Is Not A Fight”, was being sung…it was definitely an emotional-filled time. It’s the most memorable moment of my life thus far.

Janie says:

January 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm

This was just too much fun!!…loved it…you guys ROCK & ROLL…xoxo

Dee says:

January 6, 2010 at 12:27 am

This isn’t my photo but it really touches me because it shows how good people can be to one another and how to always just live it up because you can’t control certain circumstances.

Dee says:

January 6, 2010 at 12:28 am

p.s. forgot to mention this but I loved the photos! AMAZING! It was really hard voting because no two photos were alike!

chrissy says:

January 6, 2010 at 8:45 am

i’m not tryin’ to get a starbucks gift card outta you guys but i just had to comment. i found a picture that you guys took at our wedding that was so special. it was me hugging my friend dave kuretich- who had just beat cancer for the 2nd time. it was the first time i’d seen him since. you guys took the most amazing picture and now i have that moment forever. that’s one of the most special pictures i have! thanks for being there. i couldn’t have chosen better people to take our wedding pictures. i love you guys! xoxo

chrissy (and jay)

Alaina says:

January 6, 2010 at 11:40 am

This is a picture of my mom and my oldest. Such a special moment. http://iveyexpressions.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-mom-and-reed.html

Kelly Ooten says:

January 6, 2010 at 11:46 am

I’m addicted….I get so excited when I see a new post of pics—you guys are amazing!! City Girl and the Redneck Family will definatly get you to take our pictures someday :) I voted for each category—-and there was at least a couple in each category that literally gave me goose bumps. You have a gift! Happy New Year!

Kelly Ooten says:

January 6, 2010 at 11:53 am

Family…most important thing to me in 2009!

Catherine says:

January 6, 2010 at 11:57 am

Nick thinks it’s funny that I still get teary eyed everytime I look at our wedding pictures! I love you guys. I can’t wait for you to shoot the next chapter in our story!

Carrie Williams says:

January 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I seriously can’t imagine ANYONE but Kellan photographing my future wedding…We’ll be in touch when I find my soulmate ;)

amy says:

January 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

this photo means something to me every year:

Elizabeth says:

January 6, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Those pictures are all totally amazing. I love Dustin’s “up” I think Christy’s face is my fave!!

January 6, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I voted, I voted! :)

Libby says:

January 6, 2010 at 4:37 pm

You guys are re-dunk-you-luss!!!!! I don’t know how you were able to narrow down the field but I’m glad you did. I had a hard enough time picking favs as it was :)

Jennifer says:

January 6, 2010 at 6:38 pm

So many great pictures. So hard to pick just one favorite!

Here’s a link to a photo of a family photo session we had for my daughter’s first birthday!

Leecy Fink says:

January 6, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I loved voting - so many amazing choices! Your work is amazing! Thank you for capturing some of my favorite people so perfectly!

Mark says:

January 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Love your site and the pics are always amazing. I was sorry that some of the ones you took at the place near Sweet Briar weren’t there I loved that shoot. I look forward to the new pics from the shoots of the upcoming year.

Aaron says:

January 6, 2010 at 8:21 pm

i like this pic of sara http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=943483&id=1166359701. is a nice blury yellow background and she stands out! it’s a fb link so i don’t know if it’ll work. it’s actually on this site, if that helps.

Page says:

January 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Loved the photography, inspiring art work.

Jenny Heideman says:

January 6, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Oh, to have such talent! Loved all the pictures. You all are amazing!

One of my favorite pics from last month. My baby is growing up TOO FAST!

candice says:

January 7, 2010 at 5:59 am

What a fun and diverting time this was!!! You are amazing at capturing different personalities!!!

So glad I took the time to vote.

Tonja says:

January 7, 2010 at 7:09 am

You guys are AWESOME!! Best Wishes to Sara & Todd Ernst!!

Tonja says:

January 7, 2010 at 7:10 am

Good Luck to Kristin & Tim too!!

Debbie says:

January 7, 2010 at 7:45 am

I LOVE all your pictures (and albums) and can spend all day looking at them (and have)- especially the weddings and your kid and family photos.

What you did with Molly and Chris was amazing and colorful and beautiful!!!!

My two favorite pics from this Fall are:

(my son calls this “the stiff arm” one of his favorite moves (taken by a local guy who supports out HS sports programs)

AND

can’t you just hear the laughter?? (taken by me)

Jen M says:

January 7, 2010 at 11:31 am

Love the photos!

This is my fave of 2009..

Marcela says:

January 7, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I really love all your photos, but I have to be sincere…..Jamie & Paula´s are THE BEST!!!!
Thank you for all your beautiful photos you have share with all Paula´s family and lots of friends she has down here in Chile.

Marcela (Paula´s Sister)

Adil says:

January 7, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I like all Paula and Jamie´s photos.

AmyPunky Photography says:

January 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Done!! It was fun!! Happy new year!!!

Catherine Varney says:

January 9, 2010 at 10:55 am

Man, Lauren is one hot momma! She is so beautiful! I think that I might consult her on hair, makeup and wardrobe for my next shoot

Erin Price says:

January 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm

The more I see the more excited I am for our engagement session to get here!!! Of course I was excited to vote for Erik and Ellen (and to see them in so many of the categories!) but I am even more excited to have you guys take pictures of me and Mike!! :) I couldn’t pick just *one* picture to attach because these two pictures are linked and equally special to me. The first is of the sunrise on Myrtle Beach, SC at about 7:17 a.m. December 23, 2009… I took it about 2 minutes before Mike proposed. The second is of me an Mike with the rising sun shining on our faces, same beach, same day, but about 2 minutes *after* he proposed (luckily a young woman walked out onto the beach from our hotel and I flagged her down to ask for her assistance in capturing the moment). I don’t even care that I was in sweats with no make-up on or that I was grinning so big that I have a double chin!! :) This was such a sweet and special moment, I am just so happy to have the moment preserved forever!! Can hardly wait ‘til our shoot!! ~Erin

(I hope this works right!!)

Catherine Burns says:

January 11, 2010 at 4:44 am

Loved looking at your year highlights.

Love your photography! You inspire me!

Most memorable day of 2009 - there might even be a few K-stan faces familiar to you in this post: http://mydailyphotofix.blogspot.com/2009/07/day-3-trekking-turns-mountaineering.html

Dania says:

January 11, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I miss my cousin Natalia she looks very beautiful.

Ashley (almost) Pizzuti says:

January 16, 2010 at 1:09 am

Great work, nothing short of amazing!