One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinator Shoot

It’s always amazing to me what social networking and a year in our business can yield. Last November we went to NYC for a getaway and volunteered to photograph a make-up and headpiece shoot with Ruffled Blog. Which led us to form a relationship with the headpiece designer, Melanie, of One Little Dove. Forward a few months to May and I am back in NYC to second shoot Melanie’s wedding! Now we are well into the fall again and Ryan and I had the privilege to shoot Melanie’s new fall line of headpieces and fascinators. This was not a product shoot, it was a full blown girl-fest of awesomeness!!! (Not for Ryan, of course…but he was a great sport)

Melanie gave us full liberty to take the shoot in pretty much any direction we wanted to go. Music to our ears! I recruited two of my friends who are not only stunningly beautiful, they are a ton of fun. I knew they would revel in the fact that they would get to play grown-up “dress-up”. My trunk was full of shoes, jewelry, dresses, and of course a box full of headpieces and fascinators.

This was a photo shoot with three distinct end products. An editorial set up using props, full body posing, and showing the headpieces in “action”. Ryan tackled the actual head shots that will be used to showcase the headpieces for Melanie’s Etsy shop. The final scene brought the girls back together for some dramatically lit, fiercely posed shots.

One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinators

That amazing teal desk was refurbished by our friends Sarah and Nathan at Solace Restoration. She’s a gem and currently for sale. The pinwheels were made by yours truly, with the help of Sara. They came out so much better than I imagined and the tones of the paper worked so well with the woodgrain on the barn.

One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinators

Without further ado, Sara and Kristin working some serious magic.

One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinators

As well as the girls did apart, they also worked some magic together.

One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinators

A few outtakes. The copper tea kettles became a huge joke and then the laughing started and continued for awhile.

One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinators

Moving into the twilight hour and some more dramatic lighting.

One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinators

A few headshots that will be gracing Melanie’s Etsy shop in the near future.

One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinators

melanie @ one little dove says:

October 11, 2010 at 8:40 pm

you guys are magic. i am so impressed… thank you for making me look so good!

Loren says:

October 12, 2010 at 4:43 am

There are so many things I love about this shoot. The clothes, the shoes, the headpieces, the clothes!!!!!!!

Love Is In The Air - Wedding/Event Decor, Cakes & Catering, Calligraphy, Flowers and more! says:

October 12, 2010 at 4:48 am

These are so freaking gorgeous! America’s Next Top Models???? Wow! Kudos to Kellan Studios for these stunning photos!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunshine Lewis says:

October 12, 2010 at 4:48 am

I know I say it every single time.. BUT, FAMOUS.

Really.. I’m jealous on all kinds of levels.. So beautiful.
I can’t even pick bc I love them all so much!

Tweets that mention So excited to showcase fall line. Enjoy an extensive blog post and sneak peek! Girlieness galore! -- Topsy.com says:

October 12, 2010 at 4:59 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by one little dove, Ryan Portnoy, Sunshine, kellyportnoy, kellyportnoy and others. kellyportnoy said: So excited to showcase @onelittledove fall line. Enjoy an extensive blog post and sneak peek! Girlieness galore! http://bit.ly/dqOXvr […]

Shari says:

October 12, 2010 at 5:03 am

wonderful work!!

Candace says:

October 12, 2010 at 5:48 am

so gorgeous!!!!!!! i’m w/ sunshine - can not pick one b/c i love them all!! & please tell me you noted somewhere that kristin just had a baby - she looks FANTASTIC!!!! great job you guys, as always!!

Jennifer Prince says:

October 12, 2010 at 5:56 am

Stunning!!

Kristin Salvia says:

October 12, 2010 at 5:58 am

the most fun i’ve had in a lonnnng time :-) thanks for letting me be a part of this!

Lyndsey says:

October 12, 2010 at 8:21 am

So that is what it was all about up there…amazing but not surprising to come from you. Beautiful ladies.

Rachel McLean (RS Exclusive - Full Service Event Company) says:

October 12, 2010 at 9:11 am

Absolutely stunning and gorgeous! Slightly jealous of all the fun you had doing this. Props and coloring are fabulous. :)

kimberly burke says:

October 12, 2010 at 11:14 am

Amazing and Stunning!

more new veil & fascinator collection teaser shots | one little dove – bridal birdcage veils and hair accessories says:

October 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm

[…] out this massive post over at kellan studios with loads of gorgeous photos from our shoot on sunday, and a preview of more items from my new […]

Sara Ernst says:

October 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I already miss it all already! The laughing, the singing, the cheese bread and grapes…so fun, so amazing, so fierce…so blessed. I love you both!

Sara Ernst says:

October 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Faye O'Hara says:

October 12, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Magical! Always impressed!

dikola says:

October 13, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I dunno…this shoot for me to you all to a “whoe notha level!!!”

dikola says:

October 13, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I dunno…this shoot for me took you all to a “whoe notha level!!!”

A.A. says:

October 19, 2010 at 9:30 am

The colorful pinwheels…where did you get those/how did you make them? I am in love!!

Our big girl! Chloe turns 4! « Kellan Studios says:

December 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm

[…] store exploded all over the walls and decided to revisit my oversized pinwheels I made for the One Little Dove Shoot. I know I have precious few years where I can take the wheel on themes and so I ran with the […]

Oversized Pinwheel Tutorial~ Kelly style « Kellan Studios says:

December 14, 2010 at 2:41 pm

[…] It is really easy to string multiples like we did for the One Little Dove Shoot. […]

Wedding Bands says:

July 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Loving the short birdcage veils.

Swiss Watches says:

July 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

Wonderful photos.

Pinwheels {Inspiring Wedding Decor} | | SwoonSwoon says:

August 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

[…] via Design Sponge; pink and white pinwheels via Style Me Pretty; rustic barn with pinwheels from Kellan Studios; pink & yellow hanging pinwheels decor from The Sweetest Occasion; DIY pinwheel project from […]

Welcome to PRETTY PARTIES! | says:

August 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm

[…] we are lo-oving right now? Paper Pinwheels left to right, top to bottom Yellow Pink and Orange Barn Pretty Patterns Yellow and Gray Rainbow Red and White Backdrop White Corner Poms Fun DIY […]

Littledove galleries | Letspraycentra says:

November 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

[…] One Little Dove Editorial Headpiece & Fascinator Shoot « Kellan … […]

Sofia says:

March 25, 2013 at 9:59 pm

If you are going to have a Christian marriage, you must not forget to buy a beautiful wedding gown along with the matching accessories and an attractive fascinator that will help providing a look of princes.